Revolutionary Radio Episode 5 Mon, 2012-03-05 13:25
Plenty of musical madness in the air this month. We?ve started a regular Rebetiko Session on Monday nights in the SOAS Bar. On 14-18 March we?re taking the SOAS Ceilidh Band on tour to Turkey ? St Patrick?s Night in Istanbul ? at the same time as one of our SOAS Ceilidh Band colleagues is organising a Paddy?s Night gig in Ramallah. And in September we might be doing a “Ceilidh beyond Borders” thing in Venice. Watch this space.
And meanwhile, on with the vinyl ! Cultural anthropologists, please note ? “thickness of description” is this week?s watchword?
PLAYLIST ? Programme No. 5
01. Judge Dread ? Prince Buster ? “FABulous Greatest Hits” ? Melodisc MS1 ? 1967
02. Gare au gorille ? Georges Brassens “Georges Brassens 1” ? Philips 77.847 IL ? c.1956
03. Take me home ? Rory McLeod ? “Footsteps and Heartbeats” ? Cooking Vinyl ? Cook 018 ? 1989
04. Mexicano Americano ? Los Pinguinos del Norte ? “Chulas Fronteras” ? Arhoolie 3005 ? 1976
05. Hapo Zamani ? Miriam Makeba ? “Welela” ? Philips 838 208-1 ? 1989
06. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy ? Andrews Sisters ? “The Very Best of the Andrews Sisters” ? MCA Records MCL 1635 ? 1981
07. Clever Trevor ? Ian Dury ? “New Boots and Panties” ? Stiff Records 6.23 511 ? 1977
08. Ford Strike Song ? Ed Emery and members of the Ford (UK) Workers? Combine ? F(UK)WC 001 ? 1979
09. Plane Wreck At Los Gatos Canyon (“The Deportees”) ? Joan Baez and Bob Dylan ? Rolling Thunder Revue  1976
10. John Maclean March ? The Laggan ? “Freedom come all ye ? The poems and songs of Hamish Henderson” ? Cladagh Records CCA7 ? 1977