Movements & Sounds - Episode 3: Interview with Cianna Walker Mon, 2022-05-16 16:07
Cianna Walker is a Yuin and Gumbaynggirr musician living in Sydney. Studying Music at the Sydney Conservatorium of music, she is at the start of her music career as a singer. Cianna comes from a long line of Indigenous activists and cultural educators. We talked about her experiences of starting her university endeavour, awkward land acknowledgements, Indigenous languages, and, turns out, Cianna is a lover of movies! Stay tuned until the end to listen to her cover of the song Ngarra Burra Ferra.
Please be advised that this podcast contains references to deceased persons.
Links for more information:
– About the movie The Drover’s Wife: The Legend of Molly Johnson: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11162490/
– “Bȁpa” by Gurrumul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9N8UXQbO34
– About the movie The Sapphires: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1673697/
– The Dhurga Dictionary: https://aiatsis.gov.au/publication/35883
– About The Freedom Rides in Australia: https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/nitv-news/article/2015/02/18/explainer-what-was-australias-freedom-ride#
– About SeedMob: https://www.seedmob.org.au/