Behind the Music - Music of the Caucasus Wed, 2014-11-05 20:37
Presenting SOAS Radio’s new coverage of the University’s Concert Series:
Behind the Music – Performers of the world class bands performing in the SOAS Concert Series talk to Behind the Music, play their favourite tracks, share thoughts on their musical inspiration and tell whatever other good stories that might bring their music closer to you.
On the Stage: – A recording of the live concerts will follow behind the music and will be made available the following week – great if you missed the date, or if you just want to listen again.
In the first show of the new series, we talk to Stefan of the Sayat Nova Project to find out more about Music from the Caucasus. In an area often thought as a border between Europe and Asia, we learn a little about the region’s rich linguistic and cultural heritage. We learn about the Ashiq bards that travel through the diverse region, and how Monday’s performer, Ashiq Nargile fits into that tradition.
1. Miqayel Voskanyan ? Eshkhemet (Sayat Nova) ? Intro music.
2. Yosi ben Yohai ?Juhuro (Mugham sung by a mountain Jew)
3. Pankisi Ensemble
4. Absalden ? Avar song on accordion
5. Ashiq Garib ? OrtaSaritel
6. Ashiq Nargile- YurdYeri (Homeland)
7. Marina Mustafaeva – MoiIzbranniy (My Elites)
8. Amirani Nekerauli ? Tush Balalaika
Sayat Nova Project – www.sayatnovaproject.com/
SOAS Concert Series: www.soas.ac.uk/music/events/concerts/